Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Nicki Minaj Talks About Being "Completely Real" on 'American Idol'

The bottom line is, you either love or hate NIcki Minaj on "American Idol," but she doesn’t really care. The hip-hop starlet was probed on a conference call on Monday (Mar. 25) on all things Idol, from how fans perceive her on the show to who she thinks will take it all. And Nicki wanted to make one thing clear: what you see on the show is what you get.
“I am absolutely just being me,” she assured reporters. “I didn’t know what to expect. I had a lot of anxiety. I felt like, "I know everybody is just going to hate me. Oh well."”
The Young Money first lady did admit that she was worried about being portrayed as a villain on the show, however. But once given the green light to be herself by FOX producers, she expressed the need to be “completely real,” and pointed to Idol as a new platform for people to discover who Nicki Minaj is.
“I'm just happy that Idol producers gave me a shot on the show -- and to be able to show who I really was -- because I feel like I'm every single woman,” she said. “I really really don't think outside of, maybe some pink wigs, that there's anything that separates me from every other woman in America. I'm just happy that I was given the opportunity.”
And though Nicki is known for her multiple personas on wax, the rapper was adamant that the panel was not a performance for her, describing every moment and critique as genuine.
“I can’t come up there and pretend -- I just can’t do it. I can’t be someone I’m not. I can’t sit there with a phony smile on my face. I can’t do it. I’m happy that people are responding well to it. I definitely didn’t have a preconceived notion of who I was going to be on that panel.”more after cut...


As for who has the best shot at being crowned the next American Idol, it’s no surprise that Nicki has her money on the girls. Though she gave kudos to male contestant Burnell Taylor -- and even said she would like to collaborate with him -- she doesn’t think a guy will win. She named her three frontrunners:
“Kree, Angie and Candice. I think that, outside of their voices, they've won people over already, which I think is evident in just what I see on Twitter with my fans. Those three seem to have really made an impact,” she said.
No word has been given on whether Nicki Minaj will return for another season (she chose to keep the details to herself). According to the rapper, however, the outcome won’t be because of her performance.
“I don’t have a worst Idol moment. I’ve been spectacular,” she said. “Yes, I’m gonna toot my own horn. My best moment is every single moment. I’m gonna toot it again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment