Pages

Monday 1 April 2013

Gentlemen’s Corner: Robbie Jones Talks ‘Temptation’ and Confesses Celebrity Crush

Robbie Jones
We’ve all been tempted in our lifetime, and Tyler Perry used one of life’s biggest temptations (ahem, sex) and turned it into his newest silver screen feature Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor.
Playing Harley in the film, actor Robbie Jones is a familiar character–that bad habit that appears right when a current, once-healthy relationship is cracking. His villainous role is charming, becomes an escape to Jurnee Smollett-Bells’ Judith whose not-so happy marriage leaves her wanting a whirlwind of passion. The life lesson here? All that glitters ain’t gold.
This movie is set to entertain as well as teach, opening up the discussion of infidelity, trust, communication and intimacy in everyone’s relationship. But before you go and check out the film today (Mar. 29), Naz caught with Jones as he dishes on playing of this seductive role, his celebrity crush and what’s he absolutely afraid of.



Robbie Jones
Naz: How does this movie compare to any previous Tyler perry movies? Robbie Jones: It’s his most powerful movie to date, and judging from the peoples’ response at the premiere, it is going to be that. It’s just very distinct in the fact that it has a much younger cast than he’s ever had before and such a really strong message to young people throughout the film. Hopefully that will distinguish it from his other films.
How are you and your character Harley similar?
We’re both 6’3,” straight teeth and like to dress nice [Laughs]. But seriously, there’s not a whole lot I have in common with this guy. I tried to identify basic needs of anybody. Everybody has the need to be loved, and everybody has the need to feel important and feel respected. Some people just go about obtaining those in very destructive ways, and that pretty much sums of Harley. He doesn’t necessarily handle his basic needs like everyone else does. I think the key for me was to find some commonality, and that was basically it.

What do you think encourages temptation in a relationship?
Lack communication is huge. When people aren’t talking and aren’t communicating their wants and desires to their partner, it just leaves a lot of room for bottled up feelings and emotions. They have ways of coming out in the most inopportune moments. People express their unhappiness and dissatisfaction in ways they might not have even known was possible.

If I’m in a relationship, we’re not going to sleep upset at each other. I don’t need to be upset, and I don’t need you to be upset. We’re better than that. I like to communicate it and talk it out, whether it’s a 15-minute conversation or three-hour conversation. We might agree to disagree, but we’re going to communicate until we’re blue in the face.
What attributes of a lady do you find most appealing?
Sense of humor. A woman that doesn’t take herself too seriously, who can laugh at herself. She can slip and fall and think it’s funny and not that the world is ending. Education is [also] key. I love to have great conversations with people, and if they’re very intelligent, smart, well-traveled and know some things about life, [they are] a lot more appealing. A wonderful smile is always attractive and not too cute to sweat. That’s always attractive.




Robbie Jones 
Naz:Confess something weird about yourself? RJ: I watch The Cosby Show all the time. I have all the episodes, and whenever I’m not working, everybody knows it’s on.
Confess your celebrity crush?
That’s easy. Halle Berry.

Confess something your afraid of?
I don’t do well with heights. You won’t catch me too close to the edge of a tall building. [If it's] enclosed, its all good, but if there’s the chance I might fall, no. I did zip-lining before, and I was pretty much scared the whole time.

Do you want to get married? If so, what’s your dream wedding?
Yes, of course. Something not too huge or too expensive. People spend so much money on their wedding day and sometimes their marriages don’t work out, then you wasted 150 grand on one day.  I feel like you can do a lot more positive with that money then invest it in one day of your life. You can invest it in 10 years of your life.

I would like to have it with family and friends, then have a nice little reception with really, really, really good food, a little DJ action–cut a rug, dance with the homies. If it’s love, it’s love, and we’re going to be in love forever.
Whose marriage do you admire?
My aunt and uncle. [They] have 5 kids and have been married forever. Their co-pastors at a church, and I’ve always looked at their relationship and thought that it must be great to have somebody that completes you.

If you were a counselor of anything, what would it be?
I somehow have been elected by my friends as the relationship counselor person. People kind of listen to me and take my advice which is based on logic, my experience and my mom. She was a counselor for 20-plus years, and she would always deal with me as a mom, then she would take off her mom hat and put on her counselor hat and just listen to me and deal with me as a person. I try to do that with other people.

What’s the worst advice someone ever gave you?
The worst advice someone ever gave me was to go get you a Bentley. Just because I can afford a Bentley doesn’t mean I want one. The thing about me is I’m very simple. I have my Prius, and it’s awesome.

What’s up next for you?
I just finished 90210. Those episodes already started airing, and they will start back up in April. It’s all about this film right now. You probably will hate me [in the movie], but you’re going to like this movie. It speaks to a lot of different things in a relationship–being unappreciated, what kind of behaviors that can lead to, making the right choices, making the wrong choices. One moment can change your whole life. It’s deep, and I think you’ll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment